2017 GS Trophy UK Qualifier- Regulations
Conditions of entry
BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier
Walters Arena, Wales, Sunday 28th / Monday 29th May 2017
Event Organiser: Off Road Skills
The BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier 2017 will be a fun competition event designed for all owners of BMW motorcycles to enjoy.
The event is designed for and open to all owners of BMW motorcycles.
You will need to come to the event and participate in all the road based activities on your own BMW motorcycle, and we will provide Off Road Skills BMW GS bikes for you to use for the off-road challenges.
The event is run in the GS spirit, and as such we encourage competitors to bring along their friends and relatives to join us.
The BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier 2017 is an event designed for motorcycling enthusiasts who wish to experience the sporting challenge of the “GS” with like-minded individuals. There is particular emphasis on the fact that this is not a racing event.
The event is not a timed competition as such, although time limits will have to be imposed. It is a test of team work, mental and physical ability; combined with riding skills over varying terrain.
Some of the challenges may involve tests of:
- Technical riding skill both on and off-road
- Mechanical competence
- Team work
All the challenges are designed to be enjoyable and will be devised so that all riders of all abilities can try them.
In order to take part in the competition, participants must be prepared to subject themselves to challenges that go beyond everyday motorcycling. This includes dirt and mud situations as determined by the weather and as is common in off-road motorcycle activities.
Competitors will be challenged with riding various different course sections and tasks. These tasks may be designed to test motorcycling skills and/or knowledge as well as other tasks that may have nothing to do with motorcycling whatsoever.
All participants will take part during the full day of Sunday 28th May and in the morning of Monday 29th May.
The results from this will determine who will compete in the finals of the BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier on the afternoon of Monday 29th May.
We will be looking for approximately 15 people to compete in the finals on Bank Holiday Monday 29th May 2017 in the Walters Arena Motorsport Complex. The Organisers reserve the right to select the cut-off based on the scores, and so the final numbers may vary.
These top riders will compete on standard GS motorcycles provided by the Organiser on a revised course that will require all their skills.
There will be a retailer team competition also and the top four teams will take part in a head-to-head final on the Monday, after the individual finals.
The Organiser’s decision is final and no discussion will be entered into.
We would encourage all non-finalists to stay and cheer on their fellow competitors in the thrilling finale.
The entry fee is £99 per participant and includes:
- Entry to the GS Trophy UK Qualifier.
- Competition fees
- Route notes and challenges
- Use of BMW GS bikes for off-road challenges including fuel.
- Results and presentation
The entry fees exclude:
- Fuel for your own BMW motorcycle
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Travel or transport to and from the event base near Ystradgynlais, Wales.
- Any catering food and drinks
16:00 hrs Arrival and sign on – Teams
18:00 hrs Arrival and sign on – Individual Participants
21:00 hrs Sign on closes
08:00 hrs Briefing
09:00 hrs First rider departs
tbc hrs Final check closes
09:00 hrs First rider departs
11:00 hrs Last rider arrives at Walters Arena
12:00 hrs Finalists announced, lunch
13:00 hrs Individual finals
14:15 hrs Team head-to-head finals start
15:15 hrs Final Presentations and Prize Giving
Conditions of entry
- Competitors must be 21 years of age or above, and hold a full and valid licence for riding their motorcycle in the UK.
- Competitors must be a current owner of a BMW motorcycle.
- The event is designed for hobby and amateur motorcyclists. Riders competing as experts, or above, in any form of off-road motorcycling, should not take part. The Organisers reserve the right to refuse or accept entries without dispute.
- Participants are responsible for providing their own protective clothing, which must be worn at all times and must include:
- Helmets must be ECE 22-05 or equivalent and in good condition.
- Gloves should be lightweight and offer dexterity in the fingers, so that you can use the motorcycle controls. A warm set of gloves is recommended for the road sections in case of adverse weather.
- Most textile type road jackets and trousers are fine, providing the quilted layer can be removed, as you may get hot during some of the challenges.
- Boots MUST be off-road motocross/enduro boots.
- All entrants must be physically capable of riding a motorcycle off-road.
- By entering the event, the participant agrees to abide by the conditions of entry.
- Any employee and their immediate families of BMW Group companies or associated companies, their agents or anyone professionally connected with them may take part in the event but are not eligible to qualify for the final.
- Off Road Skills Ltd staff or anyone professionally connected with them are not eligible to participate.
- A briefing will be given to all participants on the day of the competition where the final instructions relating to the course will be outlined.
- Participants are offered the opportunity of not partaking in any stage or obstacle and can decline to take any test; instead they will receive maximum penalty points for this test.
- The Organiser’s rules are to be adhered to at all times. Infringements or riding on unauthorised tracks is strictly forbidden and will result in exclusion from the event.
- Infringements of conditions and endangering any other participant can also result in a competitor being excluded from the event and the venue.
- Participants are required to follow a defined route that is largely asphalt. Along this route, participants will find a number of special tests which also act as check points. The entire course can be completed on normal road tyres.
- Participants are responsible for their own fuel supply.
- Participation is only permitted with a licensed and insured motorcycle in sound technical condition. The Organiser reserves the right to exclude any vehicle that is in a questionable technical state.
- The Highway Code is to be adhered to at all times. Infringements or riding on unauthorised tracks will result in exclusion from the event. Infringements of the conditions of entry and endangering of other participants can also result in a participant being barred from the event.
- Friends, family and associates of competitors are welcome to attend the event and support competitors. However, any breach of the rules or the spirit of the event by anyone associated with a competitor will result in that competitor being excluded from the event.
- Walters Arena Motorsport Complex is private land and only those people registered in the event have permission to be on the venue. Guests of competitors may only enter the property to drive or ride to or from the car park by the sign posted route. No free riding is permitted. No dirt bikes are permitted and will be seized by the police. Any person driving on Walters without permission will have their registration taken and passed to the police. Action against trespassing is always taken by the landowners.
- Walters Arena Motorsport Complex is private land and not open to the public. Do not come and try to ride here at other times or dates. Any person driving on Walters Arena without permission will have their registration taken and passed to the police. Action against trespassing is always taken by the landowners.
- Previous winners of GS Trophy Events are eligible to take part in the event, but will not be allowed to qualify for the final challenges or the International Final.
- Protests – Any queries or protests regarding scoring should be directed to the Organiser as soon as they have been noted. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure their scores are recorded accurately on their scorecard.
Booking and Payments
The Organiser is restricting the number of entrants to the UK GS Trophy UK Qualifier 2017 event to a maximum of 250. Entries will be accepted on a first come served basis.
All bookings are on the basis that the participant will, at all times, observe the safety regulations set by the Organisers. Failure to observe the event rules may lead to exclusion from the event. Participants so excluded will not receive a refund.
- All bookings for the BMW Motorrad GS Trophy UK Qualifier (and any BMW Off Road Skills courses and events) can be made online at www.offroadskills.com, or via the World of BMW hotline number – 08000 131 282 – and are on a first-come first-served basis.
- Payments are to be made by the following cards only – Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Solo and UK Maestro. We are unable to accept any other cards. Customers’ payments will be taken at the time of booking and processed by Off Road Skills Ltd. The event fee will appear as Off Road Skills Limited on the customer’s bank statement.
- BMW Off Road Skills will send out an email confirmation to the customer after the booking and payment process is complete.
Cancellation of booking by the customer
All bookings must be paid in full at the time of booking and are NOT refundable or transferable.
During the GS Trophy, if you are unable to continue with the event, for whatever reason, then no refund will be given.
Terms and Conditions
- If the Organiser is required to make changes to the event programme or to cancel or terminate the event due to a force majeure or official directive or for safety reasons, the Organiser is not liable to the participant for damages in any way. The participation fee cannot be refunded in this case.
- Participants consent to any photographs, films and interviews made in connection with their involvement in the event being distributed and published on the radio, television, internet, print media, books, and by means of photomechanical reproduction without claim to remuneration, including publication for advertising purposes. No personal details may be passed on to third parties with the exception of companies belonging to the BMW Group.
- All photo and filming rights for all activities taking place during the GS Trophy remain the property of the Organiser.
Permission must be obtained in writing before any photography or filming takes place and before any publication of any such media.
The Organiser, through their ownership of GS Trophy and all media rights, reserve the right to make a charge for this permission.
Event participants must bring the following documentation to the event:
1) Their UK Driving Licence photocard.
Customers who are not residents of the UK and wish to participate must hold a full and valid motorcycle driving licence, which is legally valid for riding a motorcycle in the UK.
2) A current British Passport
3) A V5 document providing proof of ownership of a BMW motorcycle (colour photocopies are acceptable)
4) An insurance cover note for the BMW motorcycle